Thursday, April 23, 2015

* 4/16/15 Live and Let Live



         The most common creature based fear is arachnophobia, fear of eight-legged critters, namely spiders. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with it because... I have arachnophobia too! Yes, if I see an eight-eyed, many legged arachnid scurrying across the floor or sitting placidly on a web, I will resort to a shivering, panicked state. However, after my initial shock, I come to my senses and follow through a simple series of step ensure we both stay alive--and comfortable. And let me tell you this, I am not very comfortable with a spider in close proximity with me, and I don't think it is very comfortable with a monstrous beast goggling at it. Needless to say, I think we are both scared out of our minds.
          I have a ready prepared method for spider-saving. Most people might resort to grabbing the nearest shoe for DIY pest control, but this a one way solution. It works out something like...

Human = :); Spider = X_X

This is not the best of techniques, but nevertheless efficient. Equally efficient, yet a lot more satisfactory for the poor spider, is a short and simple method for saving a spider.

1. Most people find that spiders look freaky, and I do too! So calmly look near it, not at it, and picture something pleasant.
2. Once you've calmed yourself, proceed to take a paper and cup, and gently place the cup over the spider. Slide the paper beneath the cup and lift it up gently. If the spider is on a web, put a book or other hard board beneath the spider and bring the cup down from above and clap it to the book with the spider inside.
3. With the book/paper in hand, flip it upside down so that the paper or book is sitting on top of the cup that the spider is in. Exit the house, slide the paper off, and deposit he arachnid somewhere safe and out of the way.

These steps lead to a win-win situation.

Human = :); Spider = :)

Bit if you don't want to go through the trouble of rescuing the spider, consider this before grabbing the nearest shoe--spiders do a lot more good then you might think, and actually help you! Yes, spiders eat the bothersome pests in your house such as earwigs, flies, moths, and mosquitos. And not only that, but get this--spiders even kill... Other spiders! One big spider to guard your house, and you won't see many others. In fact, long-legged cellar spiders even kill black widows!

I'm afraid of spiders. But if I see one, 70% of the time it is in my sight will be spent trying to save it. I'll reserve the 30% left over for shuddering, shivering, and more or less freaking out. But I'll still do all in my power to give it the chance it deserves to live a long and healthy life! That means you can too! Spiders deserve more credit then they are given. They are not any less elegant then the butterflies we love to observe, and as colorful as a ladybug. So why do arachnids like spiders and scorpions receive all the hate? Show spiders what they deserve, a well-spent life in peace, and I promise you wont regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Me!